If you are running Windows 2k or Windows XP based machines either in an Active directory based enviroment or an NT enviroment, and you want your users screen to lock after a certain period of time. Do the following;
Note that the key to this is to have the screen saver executible set to the following “c:\%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation” – If you run this from the start menu your screen should lock.
From GPOL you will have the following options;
- Remove Display in Control Panel
- Hide Desktop tab
- Prevent changing wallpaper
- Hide Appearance and Themes tab
- Hide Settings tab
- Hide Screen Saver tab
- Screen saver <—-(Set this one)
- Screen saver executable name<—-(Set this as): c:\%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
- Password protect the screen saver <—-(Set this one)
- Screen Saver timeout <—-(Set this one)
Even if the user disables it, the GPO will reapply the setting.
Select the same settings as menitioned above using poledit.exe. Please download the attached adm files for attached options. Download Here